Immediately after resolving the 0×00004005 error, I ran into another one: 0×80070002. While this one proved to be a bit more challenging, I managed to resolve the matter by restoring the MigUser.xml file to the version included with USMT 3.0.1. Apparently, my additions to include PDF and GRV files didn’t take. I’ll look into this further, but for now I’m back in business!
You may receive a 0×80004005 error during the capture user state task during an operating system deployment using SCCM. If so, check the properties of your State Migration Point (SMP) to ensure that the “Enable restore-only mode” option isn’t selected. If that box is checked then the SMP will reject any new store requests.